¼ cup olive oil
2 medium Italian or globe eggplants
2 red peppers
4 medium zucchini
2 pounds Roma tomatoes, (or one 14oz can diced tomatoes)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2T fresh thyme
Salt & pepper
2T fresh basil, chiffonade
1. Cut the onions, eggplants, peppers, and zucchini into a medium dice. Set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and cook 10-15 minutes until soft and transparent. Add the garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring often so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
3. Add the eggplant, toss with the onions, and cook 10 minutes.
4. Add the peppers and zucchini and toss with the onion/eggplant. Cook 10 - 15 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and thyme. Cook 10-15 minutes more until all the vegetables are soft and the tomatoes have released their juices.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to serving bowl and top with basil. Serve warm or cold.
TIPS & TRICKS
• Use your largest sauté pan or even a soup pot to sauté the veggies. I like to use my 6qt sauté pan it is big enough that all the vegetable fit in it nicely.
• By adding the vegetables in stages, they have a chance to cook and soften but do not become a mushy mess. They are colorful and full of flavor.
• I use 2 wooden spoons to “toss “the vegetable (like you would a salad) Toss them frequently until they are well mixed and slightly soften.
• Ratatouille freezes beautifully.