1tsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
2T all-purpose flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup yellow corn meal
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup buttermilk
3T butter, melted
3T chives, finely diced
½ cup pepper jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 425º F.
2. Using the 1-teaspoon of butter, butter the madeleine molds. Then dust the molds with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Set the pan aside.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, corn meal, baking soda, and salt.
4. Mix the egg, buttermilk, and butter together until combined.
5. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chives and cheese.
6. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each prepared cookie mold. Bake until puffy and lightly browned, about 8-12 minutes.
7. Invert the pan onto a cooking rack, remove cookies, and let them cool.
8. Place on platter and serve warm or room temperature.
TIPS & TRICKS
• Use a paper towel or pastry brush to spread the butter over the molds. Even if your pan is non-stick, butter and flour the molds. The butter melts in the oven and helps make those beautiful shell indentations into the batter.
• Mix only until the batter starts to come together. Then fold in the cheese and chives. This way you don’t over mix the batter.
• Scoop immediately into pan and get into the oven so that the buttermilk reacts with the baking soda, keeping the batter light and fluffy.
• You can add different goodies. Try substituting the pepper jack cheese with cheddar cheese, and the chives for green onions. You could also add chopped chilies, jalapeños, or even corn kernels.
• They go really well with a bowl of chili or a hearty soup. They are best made and eaten the same day.