2T olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and medium dice
3 clove garlic, crushed
1T ground turmeric
2½ lbs. carrots, peeled, and cut into ½ inch dice
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1T orange zest
1 cup fresh orange juice (2 oranges)
10 large shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
½ tsp. ground turmeric
salt & pepper
½ cup unflavored Greek yogurt
3T chopped chives
1. In a large soup pot with a lid over medium heat, add the olive oil, heat, and add the onions and sauté 3-4 minutes until slightly soft. Add the garlic and turmeric and sauté 1-2 minutes more.
2. Add the carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock, cover with the lid, and cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 20-25 minutes.
4. Add the orange zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool somewhat.
5. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or blender until it is smooth and creamy. Adjusted seasoning, as necessary.
6. In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. With a paper towel pat the shrimp dry.
7. Add the shrimp and cook until they start to turn pink, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle in the ½ teaspoon turmeric flip, toss the shrimp and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Reheat the soup before serving and ladle into soup bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt, the shrimp and a sprinkle of chives. Serve immediately.
TIPS & TRICKS
• Soup can be made 2 days in advances.
• Feel free to top the soup with more shrimp if you wish.
• I added 2 tablespoon of whole milk to the yogurt and placed it in a plastic squeeze bottle. Then squeezed it on top of the soup to give a fancy presentation. ☺