4T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 leek, finely diced
2 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup white wine
14 ounces Arborio rice (2 cups)
7 cups chicken or vegetable stock, heated
1 cup fresh or frozen petite peas
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese(more for serving)
2 tsp. chopped mint
1 tsp. lemon zest
2T chopped flat parsley
salt & pepper
1. In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil; when warm add the onion and leek and sauté 3-4 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté gently for 1 minute more. Add the wine and continue stirring until the wine has almost disappeared.
2. Add the rice and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. While stirring, add one ladle of stock.
4. When the stock has disappeared, ( and you can draw a line in the rice) add another ladle of stock.
5. Continue adding stock one ladle at a time until the rice is cooked; about 20 minutes (you may not need all the stock).
6. Add the peas and stir until well incorporated into the rice.
7. Remove from the heat and, add the cheese, mint, lemon zest, and parsley.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with extra cheese
Tips & Tricks
• When washing the leeks cut it in half. Place the root end under running water (Like your giving the leek a shower) Carefully separate each layer letting the water pass though and remove any dirt and sand
• For the freshest cheese buy a wedge. Cut into small cubes and grate it in your food processor or blender. Then store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
• You can substitute the peas and mint for sautéed mushrooms & thyme for a totally different dish.