3T butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
5 lbs. butternut squash, (8 cups)
½ cup toasted walnuts, rough chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
2. To cut the squash cut it in half, then run the knife down the sides to remove the skin. Scoop out the seeds then cut into 1/2inch cubes.
3.In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and 4 -5 grinds of black pepper. Mix until combined into a paste.
4. Add the butternut squash and toss until well coated.
5. Spread the squash onto a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until caramelized and soft, about 35-45 minutes. Turn once during cooking.
6. Transfer the cooked squash and candied glaze on to a platter and top with walnuts. Serve.
• To roast nuts: preheat oven 350º F. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake the pan and continue baking until nuts are toasted, about 3-5 minutes more. Let them cool. The roasted nuts can be store in an airtight container for weeks.
TIPS & TRICKS
• You can cut up the squash 3 days before baking and place in zip lock bag or container. You can purchase precut squash. 2 pounds of precut squash yields about 8 cups. You may need to cut the pieces into small cubes.
• You can prepare the squash in the morning and then reheat it right before serving.
• Pumpkin, acorn squash, carrots and sweet potato are also divine candied.
• Pecans, almonds or hazelnuts work well.