6 cups berries: blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries, washed and cut into pieces
½ cup granulated sugar
1¼ cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup golden brown sugar
Pinch of salt
10 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces.
1½ cups coarsely chopped toasted nuts: walnuts, pecans, or almonds
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, toss the berries with the granulated sugar until well combined. Pour into a 10”x12” baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Using your fingers, mix until it resembles cornmeal. Toss in the nuts.
4. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the berries and bake in a 350° F oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until brown and bubbling.
5. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before serving into individual bowls.
6. Can be served with ice cream, or a drizzle of heavy cream.
1. Preheat oven 350º F. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake the pan and continue baking until nuts are toasted, about 3-5 more minutes. Set aside.
TIPS & TRICKS
• The crumble topping can be made ahead and just placed on top of berries before baking.
• This dish is best served warm.
• I make several crumble topping’s ahead and place in Ziploc bags in my freezer. Then I just have to shop & prepare the berries. This makes this desert even easier!!
• You can substitute other summer fruits. Peaches, nectarines, apricots work wonderfully in this recipe.
• I pre-scoop my ice cream. Take a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Scoop soften ice cream onto the baking sheet. Placed the sheet pan into freezer. Remove the pre-scooped ice cream balls a few minutes before serving dessert. (Once the ice cream balls have frozen solid you can transfer them to a Ziploc bag if you’re short on freezer space.)