1 T Butter, soften
2 T flour
3 cups all purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cups vegetable oil
1 cup can crush pineapple w/ juice
¾ cup Greek nonfat yogurt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 T orange zest
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup chopped pecans
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350º F.
2. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together, add the carrots and nuts and toss until well coated with the flour mixture. Set aside.
4. In a mixer set on medium speed, mix together the sugar and the eggs until well combined. Add the oil, pineapple, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix well, scrape down the side of the bowl.
5. With the mixer on low, add carrot nut ingredients. Mix just until combined.
6. Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake at 350º F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Place cake pans onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes before unmolding. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
8. Frosting: In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and honey until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add in the sugar and orange zest. Beat until smooth.
9. Place one layer of completely cooled cake on the platter. ( if you wish use a cake cutter to remove/cut off the cake edges) Spread ½ the frosting on top. Place the remaining cake on top and frost with remaining frosting.
10. Decorate with chopped nuts. Serve and enjoy.
*To roast nuts: preheat oven 350º F. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake the pan and continue baking until nuts are toasted, about 3-5 minutes more. Let them cool. The roasted nuts can be stored in an airtight container for weeks.
Tips & Tricks
• The cake can be made the day ahead and placed in zip lock gallon bags or covered very well.
• You may frost the cake in advance, just place in fridge, and remove 1 hour before serving so the frosting can soften slightly.
• You may cook this cake in a 9x11 square pan or as cup cakes (check the cupcakes after baking 20 mins.)