8 cups water
2 tsp. salt
2 cups medium-ground corn meal
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Prepare a large (10x12 inch) baking dish by coating the pan with butter.
3. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add the salt, and slowly add the corn meal, whisking until smooth and combined.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, mixing well. Pour the polenta into the buttered pan.
6. Place into the oven, and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until the polenta is soft.
7. Remove from oven. Season with salt and pepper if needed, and then cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
8. To serve, spread the polenta on a platter or dinner plate and top with chicken and sauce.
TIPS & TRICKS
• You can use any medium coarse ground corn meal for this recipe.
• To grate the Parmigiano -Reggiano by hand is best. However, you can, and I do, use a food processor. Allow the cheese to sit on your counter for an hour to become slightly soft. Cut it into 2 inch pieces. With the motor running, add some of the cheese pieces. Work in small batches so the cheese can be ground before the motor has a chance to heat the cheese and change the consistency. Store extra cheese in a glass or plastic container in your fridge.