3 medium beets (red or golden)
2 medium apples (any variety) cored and sliced into ¼ julienne slices
10 handfuls of salad greens (spinach, arugula, and romaine) washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
1 head radicchio, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
4T Champagne vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
8 oz. goat cheese, room temperature
16 slices of baguette
1. Preheat oven 400º F.
2. Beets: Remove stems from and wash the beets. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Roast for approximately 1 hour, or until beets are easily pierced with a knife. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼ inch julienne slices.
3. Vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey and vinegar. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Crouton: Spread the goat cheese onto the baguettes slices. Place on a baking sheet and place in 400º F oven for 6-8 minutes, or until bubbly and brown.
5. Salad: In a large bowl, toss the beets, apples, salad greens, and radicchio with a little of the vinaigrette. You want the salad to be dressed, not drowned. Add more vinaigrette if necessary. Adjust seasoning.
6. Place on a platter or salad plates. Top with goat cheese croutons and serve immediately.