3T olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 lbs. spinach (12 cups); washed and drained
salt & pepper
10 large or 20 medium mushrooms (baby bella/cremini, or portabello)
2T chopped toasted almonds
1. Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
2. Line a colander with a damp, ugly kitchen towel. Set aside.
3. Spinach: In a large pot, with a lid, over medium heat, add the olive oil; when warm, add the shallots and sauté 3-4 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, toss well, and cover with the lid. Cook about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and turn the heat to medium-high. Toss the spinach for another 1-2 minutes until the greens are wilted. Season with salt and 4-5 twists of pepper. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and place in the towel-lined colander. Let the spinach cool.
6. Once the spinach is cooled, squeeze all the extra water out of it.
7. Place the spinach on your cutting board and rough chop it. Set aside.
8. With a mushroom brush or damp towel, wipe any dirt from the mushrooms.
9. Using a melon baller or spoon, remove the stem and remove a little of the interior of the mushroom to create a larger opening, if needed.
10. Fill the mushrooms with the spinach and place on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet pan.
11. Bake at 375° F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until mushrooms are slightly softened and hot.
12. Transfer to a platter or plates. Topped with chopped nuts and serve immediately.
• Nuts: To roast nuts: preheat oven 350º F. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake the pan and continue baking until nuts are toasted, about 3-5 minutes more. Let them cool. The roasted nuts can be store in an airtight container for weeks.
TIPS & TRICKS
• This is the best way to cook spinach so that all the water cooks out but is doesn’t get mushy or slimy. Serve it as a the perfect side, by doing recipe to step #5. Once cooked place the spinach in a serving dish and enjoy.
• I use a large pot , like the type you would cook pasta in and two wooden spoons to “toss” the spinach as you would pasta so that it wilts evenly.
• Spinach can be prepared the day ahead. Then fill the mushrooms before cooking.
• You can also fill tomatoes instead of mushrooms. You can also fill tomatoes instead of mushrooms.