3T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup white rice
1 cup diced tomatoes and juice
1 cup water
1T double concentrated tomato paste
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
¼ cup toasted pine nuts*
3T fresh basil, chiffonade
2T chopped flat parsley
salt & pepper
4 medium zucchinis or yellow squash
1. In a sauté pan, with a lid over medium heat, add the olive oil; when warm, add the onion and sauté 4 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté gently for 1 minute more.
1b. Add the rice and cook stirring until opaque; about 2 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and the water cover; with the lid, lower the heat to “low” and simmer, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, basil, pine nuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pre heat the oven to 350º F.
5. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds.
5b. Cut the zucchinis in half. Using a melon baller or small knife, scoop out the interior flesh creating a little boat.
5c. Fill the peppers and zucchini with the rice mixture (you may have extra rice filling).
6. Place the stuffed vegetables on a rimed baking sheet. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the 350º F oven. Bake until the vegetables are slightly soft; about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven. Remove the foil and let cool. Serve warm or room temperature.
Tips & Tricks
- To toast pine nuts: place on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350º F oven for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Watch carefully: they burn quickly!
- Rice is delicious as a simple side dish. You can also stuff eggplant or tomatoes.