2 pounds small Brussels sprouts, all about the same size
4 pieces bacon, cut into strips
2T olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups milk
¼ tsp. nutmeg
salt & pepper
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Wash then trim the bottom off the Brussels sprouts. Cut each one into half.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tsp. of salt. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook 3-4 minutes, just until they start to soften.
4. In a large-size sauté pan over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
5. If needed, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan (you may have enough oil left from cooking the bacon); add the onions and sauté until slightly soft, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and continue to cook 1-2 minutes more.
7. Sprinkle in the flour; stir until the onions are well coated with the flour. Scrape the flour off the bottom of the pan, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the milk mix until well combined and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate all the flour. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, about 3-4 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Toss in the Brussels sprouts and stir until well coated.
9. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese. Stir until combined. Set aside.
10. Pour the sprouts mixture into a 10x12-inch baking dish.
11. Sprinkle on top the bacon bits, then top with the breadcrumb mixture.
12. Bake in a 375° F oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
TIPS & TRICKS
• You can do step #1-8 ahead of time.
• You can substitute brussels sprouts for blanched broccoli or cauliflower.