1½ cups chocolate cookie crumbs** (about 30 cookies)
6T unsalted butter, melted
24 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pint sour cream
2T granulated sugar
1½ tsp. vanilla
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces ½ cup heavy cream
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Crust: In a bowl, combine the chocolate cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Stir until the mixture comes together.
2b. Using your fingers, press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan. Set aside.
3. Filling: In a large bowl, add the cream cheese and sugar; beat at medium speed until creamy and smooth.
4. Add the unsweetened cocoa power.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each one until combined and smooth. Add the vanilla.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes in a 350° F oven. Remove from oven and cool for cool 30 minutes.
7. Topping: Re-Heat oven to 475° F.
8. While the filling of the cheesecake is cooling, in a small bowl, combine from the “Topping” ingredients the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Stir until combined.
9. Place the mixture on top of the cooled cheesecake, spreading it out evenly.
10. Place the cheesecake in the 475° F oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
11. Ganache: In a small saucepan, heat the heavy whipping cream until it is hot and almost boils. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate; make sure all the chocolate is submerged.
11b. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then whisk vigorously until the chocolate is smooth and silky. Let the chocolate to sit a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
12. Drizzle the ganache on the top of the cheesecake. (you might not use it all) Let cool, then place in the refrigerator for 12 hours to set and chill completely.
13. When ready to serve, remove cheesecake from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving, slice into slices and enjoy.
Tips & Tricks:
• **To make crumbs: place cookies in a food processor and pulse until they are the consistency of fine sand
• Don’t worry if cheesecake cracks the topping will cover it up!